Wednesday, November 17, 2010

CD Stands for Crazy Daisy?!!

I belong to Freecycle.  While I haven't picked up anything on freecycle recently, I will say, I have in the past.  I used to belong to a Craft group.  The craft group lasted one week.  Yep, we made one project.  But before I knew this group would be so short lived, I picked up about 50 cds from a fellow freecycler thinking they would be great for one of our projects.  Well, since that project never came, those cds remained unused.  So, I decided to think of something...anything that I could make with the cds.  I'm not terribly artistic.  Thinking....thinking....thinking....I could paint each one a different letter and spell out my daughter's name.  Her favorite colors are pink and purple, so I got to work.
I painted on a base coat for each of the cds.  At first, I painted about 18 cd's.  I have leftovers.  I used a stencil for the letters and touched up with a sharpie.  I made sure to put a coat of sealant when all was dry.  I was so glad; it added a shiny, more finished look.  While this isn't necessary, I had so many cd's, so I layerd the back of the cd's with another painted cd.  This added more weight to the cd's.  I liked.  Then I used my super duper puncher (as a Mom, I occassionaly lose my words, so you'll have to imagine what I'm talking about) and I punched through both layers of cds.  I tied a ribbon in each individual cd and hung.  I'm renting this home, so instead of nailing into the walls, I used super tacky push pins and stuck them in my daughter's mirror.  And to make it even more tacky, There's still the remains of "Hair Stylist" on the mirrow.  Okay, you already know I'm not perfect.  There's additional proof.  So what am I going to do with the remaining 30 cds?!!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Very cute! What a great way to reuse cd's

Michelle said...

I can't wait until you get your gift exchange. Your daughters part of the gift will fit perfectly in her room! I am so excited!!!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Michelle, I am so excited. She doesn't even know there's something on the way for her. That kid LOVES presents!!!

Unknown said...

Cute idea. You could try glueing two cds (print side) together and embellish the outside with shiny gems, use it as a suncatcher maybe??

Rob and Marseille said...

make them into a 'happy birthday' banner that you put up each time it's someone's bday!

Ashlee Marie said...

very fun way to decorate a kids room! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

sandy's crafty bits said...

wow what a super idea ... love it ... and who does not have loads of those blooming cd's thank you for the tip happy crafting and love sandy xx