Thursday, May 26, 2011

What I did with an Old Book Cover

I don't know how many of you remember my book art I posted several weeks ago.  


I was left with the cover of this book.  It was a great looking book cover. 


I've been waiting to buy some rings so I could turn it into something useful that I would love and cherish and never let go (well, maybe not when I take a shower, but everybody else).  


I grabbed my tools: a croc-o-dile (you really should get one if you haven't already), two rings, and some paper cut to size (according to your own book cover).


There was no cutting on my part.  I LOVED the cover too much to make any more adjustments.  Now if you decide to cute the spine section off, that's great, but I'm new to the desecration of books so it was all that I was capable of doing.  Just give me time. 

I used the larger hole punch and made sure to measure where I wanted the holes.  The croc-o-dile has the tool set up right on it so it was super simple and made me feel confident that my holes would line up. 

Then I put the book together.  Supersupersuper simple (as always).


I use it to store inspiration.


Still plenty of blank pages allowing for more ideas.




Have a fantastic weekend!  May there be sunshine and flowers and inspiration all around!



22 comments:

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Lyndee, you are brilliant!! I would love for you to come over and link up today!
www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

I love the color and design of that book cover. And it's such a useful crafty idea. :-)

Jennifer said...

This is a super awesome idea! I'll feel a lot better about ripping apart books now. :)

ReadyOrNot said...

So cool! Now following from The Creative Princess blog share!

Rob and Marseille said...

i had a project to do today & couldn't find the perfect tool (paper cutter) that I know is somewhere in my house unopened. Then after I just used scissors (47 times!), I realized I didn't need to cut them. and now they were too small. grrr! well, enough venting. they will just have to stay the way they are.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Marseille, I SO completely understand. I've been making more cereal/box journals and decided I need to figure out how to cut the covers so there's less cutting of the inside paper. It can be maddening--especially when you cut 47 times and have the wrong size. Lol... Oh, boy do I understand.

I made it said...

I was waiting for someone to come up with an idea to use the covers of books that everyone used the pages of to make flowers. I was thinking of making boxes. just add hard cardboard on the 3 sides.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Thank you so much for linking up to "It's a Party"! I featured your book today! I went to Michaels the other day to get a punch like yours, but forgot my coupon. I'm going back today with coupon in hand!

Rebecca said...

I love this idea! I'm adding a funky old book to my list of things to look for when I go to the thrift store. The book art on the wall is fun too!

Anonymous said...

Now THIS it right up my street! what a great idea...well done and thanks for the inspiration.

TheCraftInMe said...

Awesome idea, great use of materials, thanks for sharing!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Super idea. I also like the book art. My daughter would love it she is a real book worm and is studying to be a teacher.

Whit said...

What a fun idea! Thank you for sharing. I need one of those punchy tools. I think my mom has one I can borrow hers. Come and say hi and enter my Jamberry nail giveaway!

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Anna said...

What a great idea! I agree with you, I'd have a hard time ripping the spine off too. :)

Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Warrior Link Party!

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

I am a new follower because this is great!! I am visiting from Sugar and Dots and I love what you came up with! I am hoping you will come to my blog Friday and link it up to my Delicately Constructed Fridays!!
Thanks so much and have a great week!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Lindsey said...

Just found your blog and love this idea. Our library is always 'taking books to the basement' and I would love to save them; just didn't know what to do with them.

ArtfullyJune said...

Great idea. I have a few encyclopedia covers laying around. I've binded a few into notepads but like your idea too. I might just have to try something like this.

Debra said...

What a good ideal!
by the way it is a (crop a dial)

Leanne said...

That book cover is beautiful. WHat a great idea and I love that it's your inspiration book. THanks for linking to the party.

Unknown said...

What a great idea to store inspiration ideas! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Anonymous said...

I love this- it deserves to be highlighted on workshop wednesday! Keep up th great work!

Unknown said...

Your articles make whole sense of every topic.
jaad book design