Monday, January 10, 2011

Clean/Dirty Sign for Dishwasher

I've seen these before but have never liked what I've seen.  I like the idea behind it, but never saw something I'd actually want to put on my dishwasher.  So, I came up with my own and you know what my oldest son said?  "Mom, you should make tons of these and sale them for $20!"  Who can beat that review?!!


Here's mine:
The reason I've been wanting these is probably the same reason why anybody would want one.  Countless times a day, some member of my family would ask if the dishes were clean or dirty.  I would tell them to open it up, look and smell.  They prefer the sign.

I just used a food storage can lid (if you haven't invested in Pampered Chef's easy-edge can opener, you really should).  You can use whatever you like.

I went through my scrap paper and traced the lid onto the paper.

I distressed the paper's edges with ink and adhered to the lid.  I used tacky glue, but whatever you prefer is fine.



I then went through my alphabet stash and picked the one I thought would work best.
To stick it to the dishwasher, I did the simplist thing.
I got a magnet and stuck it on.  The can lid is magnetic so there's really no need to glue it on. 

Instead, I can just flip the sign.  That's the part I like.  I didn't like the kind that said "clean" on top and "dirty" on bottom and you would rotate it.  This was much more my style.
And now a random picture from our vacation:

18 comments:

Kristal said...

Totally agree about the magnets! I'm gonna make one of these today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

Great idea. I may have to do this, my husband can NEVER tell when the dishes are clean or dirty.
~Katie
eyespydiy.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Mine's not as cleverly made as yours! After my husband used a dirty bowl because he didn't realize the stuff in the dishwasher hadn't been washed, I set up a system where we have fridge magnet letters along the top saying either 'clean' or 'unclean' (it being easier to just add or remove two letters rather than change the whole word). It works :)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I actually think that's a brilliant idea with the letters! The more complicated we make a system, the less likely we are to use it.

Sassy Sites! said...

Great idea! I need one of these for my house! Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites- Trash to Treasure Tuesday! We are doing a LABEL giveaway today, so come back and check it out!

xoxo!
Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Julia said...

I love this idea! What a great way to organize with a fun craft!

Wendy said...

Brilliant idea, and so pretty! I don't have kids, but I have my husband asking me several times a day if it's clean or dirty... because clearly he can't tell the difference!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This is perfect!! I so need this...my husband is constantly asking me if the dishwasher is "dirty" or "clean." Thanks for sharing the tutorial and linking up to my party. :)

Ashley said...

Ooohh...I love this!

www.readit-and-eat.blogspot.com
www.craftsforarainyday.blogspot.com

Paula@SweetPea said...

My husband frequently puts dirty dishes in the washer when the rest of them are clean. This cute project would cure that problem.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Funa and very practical! Thanks for sharing at Beyond the Picket Fence.

Michelle said...

For some reason, my otherwise intelligent men (3 of them), can NEVER manage to look and figure out whether the dishwasher is clean or dirty so I am making this idea!!!! Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to read more about your great projects. I hopped over from Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading linky party!

Beth said...

Great idea. My husband always says he doesn't put the dishes in the dishwasher because he never knows if they are dirty or clean.

abeachcottage said...

Lovely idea! This will certainly stop the dirt y or clean confusion. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa said...

Cute idea to use a lid! I made one with a small piece of wood and a magnet. One of the best things I've ever done and we still use it after a year!

Naturally Me Creations said...

Hehe....what a fun idea! It turned out great. :)

Megs said...

I've seen these before, but I'm totally loving yours the most. Great idea to use a can lid!