I bought the ornaments several months ago. I thought they were plastic. Today, I learned that they were in fact glass. Whoops! The plan was to have my children each decorate one of these ornaments any way they wanted. Child #1 really couldn't be bothered. Child #2 was sick and sprawled out on my bed. Child #3 helped for about five seconds before she moved on to something else. That's okay. I was not in a mood to force my children to join in the festive activity. They can decorate their ornaments another time.
I went to the basement to gather my supplies.
I figured I would use a variety of elements in my ornaments. It was really quite a lot of fun.
The first was the one my daughter helped with. Her favorite color is purple.
I poured in some paint...
...and swirled it around a bit.
That didn't work so well. I was a bit confused cause it seems to work on all the blogs I read. I'm pretty sure I skipped a step. SO, I added water and swirled. Instead of a swirl effect, I got a watered down coating.
For my next ornament, I pulled out the leftover candy from our gingerbread house.
Most of the pieces were too large to fit in the hole, put I found that the candied stars fit perfectly.
I would like to point out that this is the ornament I dropped and that shattered all over the carpet which resulted in my having to vacuum during the Survivor Finale.
I used these berries for my next ornament that had fallen off a garland that I rescued from my neighbors trash.
Truly, my son saw it sticking out of their trash can on Thursday but I waited patiently till it was pulled to the curb and was public domain before I pulled it out. It was beautiful. I even plugged it in and all the lights worked. CRAZY!!
And in case my neighbor is reading this, I also pulled a couple boxes and put those in my van for recycling. I know, I'm crazy obsessive but I'm not scary, I promise.
Isn't it pretty?
I used an old book that I had picked up from a yard sale for my next ornament. I love vintage books!
I literally tore the cover off and shredded two of the pages with scissors.
I used candied sprinkles for my final ornament. It's so fun!
Then I pulled from my ribbon stash and tied the ornament to our chandelier. I first got the idea to try this from Sugar Bee Crafts. Click "here" to see Mandy's original post.
I hope you will excuse the pictures. I didn't complete this project till well after dark but I knew I wanted to to post this first thing Monday morning. Lighting was an issue so I played around a bit.
I obviously need to figure out the setting on my camera.
Seriously, the pictures are horrible. It really does look so pretty in real life.
It really does add a lot to this space in my dining room. I absolutely LOVE the results. FYI, I made sure to layer the ornaments as I hung them. After breaking one, I completely envisioned the ornaments knocking against each other and shattering across the dining room table. There are so many things you can do with these ornaments. I can't wait to pick up more at the after Christmas sales! And for the ornaments I didn't use, I will put in other spots of my home.