Friday, November 4, 2011

Soda Can Cuff-A Blast from the Past

I'm up to my eyeballs in homework assignments and have had very little down time.  So rather than raid pinterest, I decided to post blast from the past.  Most of my reader weren't around when I posted this project, so here you go.  

When I first saw this awesome project  at



I knew it was a project for my crafts/gifts email folder.  For the longest time, I saved up the soda cans and put them away in my craft room.  It was so great, that it had to be done.  What sparked the kick in pants to no longer put it off was the starting of this blog.  I marched myself up to the room, pulled out the cans and looked for some fabric.  I gave most of my fabric away this summer, since we were moving and I hadn't used it in a while.  But I did have a tote full of clothes that had rips in the knees or other such calamities.  I figured I was putting them out of their misery.

 Course, I could try and fix some of them, but this seemed a lot more fun.
I gathered the cans and started cutting.  This was an easy project to do at my weekly girl's project night.  When cutting the cans, any sharp scissors will do.  This will go without saying, but be careful; I was making a lot of people nervous as I poked the first hole into the can.  I cut different sizes, some cans were able to get two bracelets from it.  Then I trimmed off any rough edges and made sure it was even.


The leftovers can go in the recycling pile

(I don't have pictures of the next part, I apologize.)
I made sure the can fit around the wrist I was making it for.  That means I needed to trim some more.  Next, and this is so easy, you won't believe me, I hot glued fabric on it.  It's not the prettiest thing you will ever see, but the ugly part was on the inside and nobody was going to see that.  I made sure the bracelet was completely covered in fabric.  Near the end, I hot glued some ribbon into the seams so I could tie fasten it.  Nothing special, but I sure do like the end result!!!  And it fit my skill level.


The fun part is accessorizing.  I loved using my ribbon on this and it was also practical.  Thanks 12 Crafts for yet another fabulous idea!


8 comments:

Vanessa said...

Very cute! I LOVE recycled crafts :) These are perfect for a tween.

Chelsea@getyourcraptogether said...

So fun! I just gave you an award. Check it out at getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Stopping in from Sugar and Dots. Those are such a great idea, my super hard to shop for preteen girl would love thse!
I'm a craft hoarder as well, following now to see what ideas you come up with!

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

This is the first link that caught my eye at my linky party- I will be featuring you for SURE next week! Thank you for linking up. Super duper rad. (And I'm now following to see what else your hoarding will create.) ;)

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Thanks, everybody! I've got to make about 8 more of these for some special gifts I'm making. It really was fun for me...minus the burns from the glue gun.

Julia said...

I LOVE this! at first I was like "soda can cuffs? thats dangerous!" These are so cute! How clever!

Melissa said...

I really, really like how the first one turned out. Great take on the project.

Naturally Me Creations said...

Interesting! :) And what a cute thing to make for kids.
Tnx for linking to my party! :D