Monday, January 24, 2011

Repurposed Sock

The finished product is nothing new, but the road I took to get there I'm willing to say is somewhat unique.  At least I haven't seen it (doesn't mean somebody else hasn't already thought this one up).  I have a container of socks without mates.  There are some socks that have been in there several years and several moves.  I came to a realization that the socks that have been in there over a year are never going to find the other half of their pair.  The reason I know this is because I packed every box and there are no socks out there...only the ones in my container.  Knowing this, I decided it was time to do something with some of these socks.  Sure, you're thinking, "You threw them away, right?!!"  cause they're socks and that's gross.  Nope not me.  I'm a recycler. 

Now, I'm not completely crazy.  I cut of the "foot" part of the sock off and ditched that.  It was too much for me and I had no desire to find another use for it. 

Then I cut a hole for the thumb (you're laughing cause this is so easy).

I slipped it on and it didn't feel quite finished (and all the other blogger/crafters always add something).

(yes, that is old nail polished that has since been removed...I promise)


Since the picture, I have made the thumb hole bigger so the "glove" slides down more.  Now I have to ask, where to people wear their fingerless gloves and how?  With long sleeves?  Underneath a coat?  I'm picturing Punky Bruster here.  I think they look cool but I don't know what to do with them (I made three).


2 comments:

Heather said...

A friend of my mom's actually just knitted me a couple of fingerless gloves...never would have thought to use a sock but I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for a good sock or two now! LOL! I have a metal plate and 5 pins in my right wrist...souvenirs from a car accident...and when the metal gets cold my wrist and my arm aches and so wearing one keeps my wrist warm and I have a lot less pain....so that is what I use mine for. ;)

Anonymous said...

Who'd a thunk?!? This is pretty darn cool. I have a pair of socks at home that would be perfect for this. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @ http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com/